First United Methodist Church of Griffin

Friday, November 8, 2013

Sunday Preview & Thought for the Week (11.8.13)

Happy Friday!

I hope you've had a great week.  The leaves that cover my yard tell the story that fall is in full force.  I'm so excited about starting a brand new series this Sunday focusing on the theme of November:  giving thanks.  I'm not sure we've ever really done a Thanksgiving type series, so I'm pumped.  I hope you'll make plans to be there this Sunday and throughout November as we focus in on "grATTITUDE".  (And, yes, I know it's spelled wrong).  See you there!

Thought for the Week

"In any and all circumstances I have learned the secret of being content...I am able to do all things through Him who strengthens me."  Philippians 4:12-13

I was thumbing through Facebook and just noticing the stark contrast of what's going on in the worlds of people who have at some point been a part of my life.  Some are excited about accomplishments of children or announcing a new job they've taken.  Some are asking for prayers for surgery or for a friend.  Some are giddy over a new relationship.  Some really like to take pictures of what they're eating for dinner, and this seems to make them happy.  Some are hurt or angry.  Some have experienced the loss of a loved one or suffered a broken heart.  Some of finding their way through divorce and singleness again.  Some like to complain about politics.  What's clear is it's all out there, and at any moment each of us is prone to extreme happiness and incredible heartbreak depending on outside circumstances.  But the outside world can't shape our attitude and spirit.  The Apostle Paul said that he had learned the secret to being content no matter what happened.  Don't you want to listen to that?  It's a secret that has been unlocked.  It wasn't success, doing what you want, getting your way, more money, or more power.  It was understanding that in all things, all circumstances, our strength comes from Christ in us.  I'm not promising you the road will always be easy or that your 'posts' will always be happy.  There will be mountains and road blocks and bumpy paths.  There will be valleys.  What Paul teaches us is that we can make it through whatever is happening on the outside because of what's on the inside.  I hope you've invited Jesus inside, and I hope you're leaning on him.

In Christ,

Carter 

No comments: