First United Methodist Church of Griffin

Friday, September 2, 2016

Sunday Preview & Thought for the Week (9.2.16)

Hey Church!

It's finally here!  This Sunday is Tailgate Sunday!  A reminder that we'll have ONE Worship Experience at 11:00 a.m. at Harmony Grove.  

No 9:45 or 5:30 Worship Experiences this week.

Wear your favorite team gear and plan on coming out for the fun.  Bring a side and dessert to share.  Awards for best outfit, best side and best dessert.  God is also going to speak a powerful word to us.  It's going to be a great Sunday!

Thought for the Week 
 “I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener.  He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes so that it will be even more fruitful." John 15:1-2

I want to be like a remodeled room, but I'm more like a yard.  The thing I love about a remodeled room is that it's done.  The paint, the new trim, maybe some new flooring.  It just needs cleaning every once in a while.  I want to be like that.  I want God to slap a new coat of paint on me, fix me up with some cosmetic touches and just clean me up every once in a while from there.  It's not that way.  I'm more like the yard.  Yards need constant work.  There's always grass that needs cutting, shrubs that need trimming, trees that need pruning.  There's constant work in the warm weather and important fertilizing and treatment in dormant seasons.  It's weekly.  It needs watering and edging and weeding -- forever.  You're never done with it.  Sometimes in a room you say, "That's the last time I'm going to paint it."  You day say to a yard, "That's the last time I'm going to cut it."  God will never be done with you, and if you are going to grow and flourish, it will take constant pruning, cutting, trimming, watering, and preparing for the the next season of growth.  Sometimes a yard looks worse before it looks better.  Sometimes you'll look worse before you look better.  Sometimes some work will need to be done in your dormant season.  Yes, there will be a dormant season.  Sometimes you'll be pruned.  You won't like it.  And you'll need constant work.  That's because God is more like your gardener than your painter.  He's never done with you, and you'll probably keep growing in the wrong directions, so He'll have to train you and trim you.  This is for a purpose.  He's planning on you being the best looking yard on the block.  He's got a vision that's akin to Augusta National for you, but it's going to take daily work to get there.  It's going to take constant pruning and cutting and trimming so you'll finally grow right.  Are you ready for that?  You can trust Him.  He knows what He's doing.

In Christ,

Carter

No comments: