First United Methodist Church of Griffin

Thursday, July 14, 2011

But, but, bless me, too...please!!!!

"Esau said to his father, 'Do you have only one blessing, my father? Bless me too, my father!' Then Esau wept aloud." Genesis 27:38

I've been reading about the story of Jacob and Esau this week. Jacob was a really important Biblical character in Genesis long before the name came synonymous with a really ambiguous character on the greatest TV show of all time, LOST...but I digress. It's Esau that fascinates me. As I thought about Esau, the quote that came to my mind was, "He's always a day late and a dollar short." You know, it was just always something with Esau. He was always a step behind. His attitude bothered his parents. He sold his birthrite without thinking about it. He rushed off to marry someone like Jacob because he thought it would please his parents. He was always begging for seconds. He had every opportunity in the world, the first born of Isaac...but he never really got it because he just couldn't focus on the right things. And it seemed like he was always saying, "Bless me, too".

Is that ever us? Are you squandering an opportunity God has given you in life, your family, your career because you can't focus? Are you always coming up 10 minutes late to God saying, "I meant to do that, too, bless me, too." That was the sense with Esau. He was always 'meaning' to do the right thing but never really seemed to do it. Sometimes I feel like we have that attitude. It's the victim mentality. "It wasn't my fault." "I want my share." It's like God is giving away something for free and we're always running up to try get it but He runs out just before we get there and we're like a kid saying, "Don't you have anymore lollipops left?" While our motivations are important, that motivation has to be followed by action. Meaning to follow Jesus isn't enough. You know how you make sure you always get the lollipops God is handing out? Stand right next to Him all the time. You'll find that there's a limitless supply.

No comments: