First United Methodist Church of Griffin

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Calling

So, I'm back to work after a pretty awesome vacation. We did nothing truly remarkable, I just got to spend a whole lot of time with my family. Of course, I hit the ground running this week to catch up on a few weeks' worth of work. But it got me to thinking about something.

I have such a weird job. I mean that in a good way. I am energized and refreshed and ready to tackle whatever awaits us as I lead Church of the Way. I love what I do. I am passionate about our mission and vision. I believe in our values and our people. And I am called. My daddy told me that if you love what you do, you never have work a day in your life. I sort of feel that way. However, even if you love what you do, it's going to become a grind at some point. Sundays roll around every seven days no matter what I do. Sundays a-comin'. When the grind hits, it's those moments that I lean on my calling. This is what I was born to do. This is what God called me to do. I can't imagine being anywhere else doing anything else.

What has God called you to do? Now, before you answer, let me ask you another question...Why aren't you doing what God called you to do? Maybe you are. I hope you are. But, if not...why not? Is it money, time, effort, fear, family support? I believe that you won't be happy until you are doing what God called you to do. Now, that comes in a variety of ways. Maybe it's just being a parent - that's you're calling. Maybe it's serving at your local church, and you do something else to make money. That's okay, as long as you're clear about that. Maybe making a lot of money allows you to live out a calling to be generous. Maybe it IS ministry? Maybe God is calling you to get MORE involved at your local church. Heck, maybe God is simply calling you right now to simply go to church. But, I know this: God's calling will bring you and others closer to Him. God's calling will help further the Kingdom. And you'll be happing in God's calling.

I am blessed that I found God's calling for ministry early in life. I am grateful to serve a church in which I can live out that calling (and wear blue jeans on Sundays!). I hope you find yours. What are you waiting for?

No comments: