First United Methodist Church of Griffin

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

The Responsibilities of Leadership

I recently read a line in President George W. Bush's memior that when he went away to Camp David, the press called it a vacation. However, he would, of course, get security breifings every morning as well as deal with any urgent matters and take strategic calls. He said something to the affect of, "The responsibilities of the presidency followed me wherever I went." There really isn't a vacation for a president.

In reality, that is true for any leader, whether that is a coach, business owner or pastor. Those that are in leadership cannot escape the responsibilities and duties of their organization, no matter how far away and sandy the place they go is. This has been especially true of my experience of leadership as a pastor. It is virtually impossible to escape the duties of the ministry. Now, the key to avoiding burnout is learning how to navigate it. I see so many pastors burn out because they don't know how to create balance in their lives. A few things I've learned along the way in making my way through 11 years of ministry:


  • You have to really love what you do. Ministry is stressful and full of putting out fires, but I love it.

  • You have to understand how to control technology. We simply can't always be available or we'll drive ourselves crazy. Jesus wasn't available 24/7 -- we shouldn't be either.

  • You have to have outlets. Mine are my family, exercise and college football. Jesus has all of them, but I won't let the ministry have them.

  • You have to have times of spiritual renewal. Jesus repeatedly took time away to pray. We have to. We don't only need daily time with God, but sometimes we need extended time away to focus and pray.

  • You have to get over it. I am grateful to be in ministry and know what I signed up for. So many pastors act like it's a surprise that they are needed so much by the ministry. This is just life. Stop throwing a pity party and put your nose to the grindstone or go do something else. It simply comes with the territory.

I've been thinking about some of these issues this week while I'm away visiting some family. We're kind of taking one last trip away before school starts back, but we'll be back on Saturday to get ready for another awesome Sunday of worship at Church of the Way. And there will be times I'm needed during this week. It's just life. If you're a leader, you get that. You understand it. It is the cost of leadership. It's worth it to me. I get to experience the movement of God's Spirit in the lives of His children. Sometimes, I get inconvenienced, but I wouldn't trade it for the world. And I won't let the inconveniences win by burning me out.

No comments: