First United Methodist Church of Griffin

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Authority

Sorry for the light posting this week...been crazy.

This week I had a mandatory pastor's meeting to go to. Occasionally, I'll have these as part of our denominational connection. But I don't mind them (not that I want to be going to one every week). But, I understand authority. When my denominational leader says that a meeting is mandatory, I'm there. When I'm told to do something by someone in leadership in me, I do it. It's really not that complicated. Man, a lot folks struggle with that concept in our culture.

I preached about this a couple weeks ago in regards to teenagers. Understanding authority is so crucial in our faith. If one can't understand authority, he or she will struggle with God in their lives because the whole point of this walk with Christ is to give Him authority in our lives. Authority over our decisions, family, money, career -- everything. Do you struggle with giving authority to your boss? Are you giving it to Jesus? Authority is hard to give up. We all want to be in control. We all want to be king of our own castle. But giving Christ authority means that we're not in control anymore.

I find that giving Christ authority in my life has taught me what authority on earth is, too. It's okay that someone else has authority over you. Everyone has that. No one is autonomous, we just pretend to be. I hope you experience the freedom found in giving Christ what is already His, for "All authority in heaven and earth has been given to me" (Matt. 28:18). You'll find room to grow under His authority. You'll find His plan is better than your plan. You'll find His dreams are bigger than your dreams. And you'll find he can shoulder the burden of control. Let go. Give him authority.

No comments: