First United Methodist Church of Griffin

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

A Change'll Do You Good

I find that I am sometimes a strange mix. In some ways, I'm an extreme traditionalist. In others, I embrace change for the sake of change. For the most part, in college football, I'm a traditionalist. I do not want my team to play on Thursday nights because Thursday nights are for JV teams, not teams from the National Collegiate Athletic Association. However, I am very pleased to sit in front of my TV to watch some OTHER team play on Thursdays. I am a UGA fan, and many of our fans are up in arms over our new Pro Combat uniforms for our opener against Boise State. When it comes to uniforms, I'm usually a stickler for tradition. But, I don't know, something in me is changing. The uniforms for one game aren't a big deal to me. And, while many others are up in arms about the possibility of new conference alignments like Texas A & M coming to the SEC, I say, "Change is good!"

The bottom line is that change is virtually unavoidable. Dead people don't change. They usually stay dead. Living organisms have to change. It's part of thriving in our environment. Our bodies are constantly reproducing themselves. We are changing. Isaiah 43:18-19 says,




"Forget the former things; do not dwell on the past. See, I am doing a new thing! Now it springs up; do you not perceive it?
I am making a way in the desert and streams in the wasteland."

God wants to do something new in us, to us and for us, but we have to embrace change. I'm not sure why we're afraid of change. It's probably the unknown. But the unknown could be better than the known. The unknown could be the answer you've been looking for. And, if the unknown comes from God, you can be sure it's good, for He is working for our good. Don't be afraid of change. Embrace it. Enjoy it. Seek it out. He wants to do a new thing...in you.

No comments: