First United Methodist Church of Griffin

Friday, August 19, 2011

Sitting on the Rock

A few days ago I was jogging on a trail in one of my favorite parks, Tribble Mill, just down from my house. About midway through the jog I found great rock to take a seat on and have some time with my Creator. It kind of became my praying rock. I sat there for 10-15 minutes and just had a talk with God. It was a soul-replenishing time for me.

However, I noticed that as a sat, the rock wasn't that comfortable after a while. In fact, it was downright uncomfortable. I began thinking about how we sing "On Christ the solid rock I stand" and I thought about how, in life, I want to sit on the rock of Jesus. But resting on Jesus isn't always comfortable.

Just because you're a Christian and just because you are following God's will does not mean that it will be comfortable. In reality, the opposite is true. You can almost rest assured that it's going to be uncomfortable. There are no promises that it will be easy. No promises that it will be comfy. No promises that it will be all smooth sailing. But there is a promise that the rock is steady. You can count on it. It's not going anywhere. In a world where everything changes all the time, I certainly need a Rock that won't move.

No comments: