First United Methodist Church of Griffin

Thursday, August 11, 2011

Not like you and me

"'For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways,' declares the Lord." Isaiah 55:8

I finished a book today that talked a lot about that passage. Does it make you a little uncomfortable? I think it makes me a little uncomfortable. I want to be able to wrap my brain around God. I want it all to make sense. I want it to all make sense. It doesn't. I want it to all be logical. It isn't. I want to be able to get a grasp on exactly how God is moving and working. I can't. God's not just a little smarter than us...we're not even in the same homeroom. We don't even go to the same school. His ways, his thoughts are not like ours. We tend to think, "Oh, that's how I think about this or this is how I would react, so God probably would, too, just a little more elegantly." No. He usually wouldn't do what you would do. He almost always wouldn't do what I would do :) He does things his way, and I don't always have him figured out. I want to...but I don't. Yet, I love him. I love him because He saved me. I love him because He is always proved right in my life when I trust Him, especially when it doesn't make sense. I love him because He has blessed me with so much that I don't deserve. So I try to let Him be God and me be me. I don't have to always understand Him to love Him and serve Him. You won't always get what God is doing. He didn't ask you to and He's not surprised when you don't. He just asked you to follow.

No comments: