First United Methodist Church of Griffin

Monday, August 8, 2011

First Day of School

So, we sent two to the bus stop this morning for the first day of school. It really emptied the house up, that's for sure. Two down, two to go. It was my son Tanner's first day of kindergarten. He was excited, and I was excited for him.

Last night, as I prayed with my two oldest boys before they went to bed, I prayed for them to be influencers. That's my dream for them and that's what God created them to be. I don't worry too much about them being out in the world. They go to the school down the street, and their teachers won't pray with them. There will be no prayer to start the day. And the Bible will not be taught. Christian principles will yield to the princibles of government. Some parents really worry about that. People spend a lot of time petitioning and picketing to get prayer in school or the 10 commandments posted in the school cafeteria. They simply worry that schools have become too worldly. But that's right where I want my boys to be. They are young, but we have been preparing them their whole little lives to go out...to be sent.

Jesus said to his disciples, "I am sending you out like sheep among wolves" (Matt. 10:16). He didn't pretent that it was going to be easy or everyone was going to be nice or act Christian. I want my boys to be world changers. They don't need the school to lead a prayer because they know how to pray. They don't need the Bible to be taught there because God's Word is already firmly in their hearts. They are taking Jesus with them...to their teachers...to their classmates...to their school. While peer pressure and negative influences are real dangers, I believe we have the power to instill in our children the confidence to lead with roots that lead to Jesus. School will no doubt change them. Their education will shape them in ways we don't know yet. However, I hope that when they graduate from Archer High School years from now, that Archer is different because the McInnis boys came through with the light of Christ shining through them. That's what our schools so desperately need: an army of kids commited to Christ and ready to serve and love their classmates and teachers with the heart of Jesus.

You know, come to think of it, that's what our workplaces need, too. And the grocery store. And the gym. And the PTA. And football team. And our neighborhoods. And the...you get the picture.

1 comment:

Ann said...

Wow!!! Carter this is excellent! It brought tears to my eyes to think of these boys being world changers, but they are. We all are. We just need to remember to let Christ's light shine thru us and we'll be changing the world for the good. Great post.