First United Methodist Church of Griffin

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Getting Better

So, I'm thinking about going back and getting my doctorate. I wasn't ever really sure I'd consider something like that. I've always said that I could care less if people call me doctor. I don't care about titles. And, I really, really don't like school. That sounds bad, but you gotta think about my context. I went straight from high school to college and straight to seminary. When I graduated from seminary, I had been in school for 20 straight years. I was a little tired of it.

But I've come around. For the first time ever...I think I want to go back to school. Because I want to be better. I want to be better at my job. I want to be a better pastor and better leader. I want to vision for our church better. I simply want to get better. I believe there are programs out there that can help me do just that - get better. That's where this came from. A desire to get better.

Complacency irritates me, maybe as much as anything else. This is a new revelation to me. I mean, I just figured out it irritates me. I don't ever want to be complacent. I don't want to sit in the status quo. I want to strive, strive, strive to be the best I can be...for our church to be the best She can be. I don't believe complacency honors God. God is a God that moves forward. God believes in excellence. God wants to push you to new horizons. God wants more out of you than you can imagine. And God says you will accomplish even bigger and better things than Jesus (that's in the Book). Don't just sit idle. Stretch. Reach. Strive. Get better. God needs you to be the best you you can be. And he wants that life for you.

No comments: