First United Methodist Church of Griffin

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

The Greatest Gift

I went to a memorial service on Saturday for a great lady whose daughter goes to our church. She had been to our church a time or two and was a member of our Mother Church. I don't go to many of those anymore, which is a good thing. We have a very young church, and there simply aren't that many funerals with a young church. But services like this one are uplifting.

It's always sad to lose a loved one, even if they are 90 years old. But this dear lady gave her family a great gift in her passing -- a deep faith in Jesus Christ. I once had a fine mine in my first church that had lost his wife years before I served there. He shared stories about her character and faith and told me, "The greatest gift you can give to your family is a deep faith in Christ and the assurance of where you go when you die."

I've been to funerals when that is in question, and they are no fun at all. Of course, only God knows the condition inside a human heart. Nevertheless, it is a blessing to go to a funeral of someone who is known for their good heart. It is a joy to family members to know that their loved one is spending life after death the same way they spent life before death -- with Jesus. You can give your family no greater gift.

No comments: