First United Methodist Church of Griffin

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Top 5 Sports Moments

A friend got me thinking about what I've witnessed in person as a sports fan. I've been blessed to see some pretty amazing sports moments live. It's really hard to decipher my 'homerism' from it all, especially since I have been to so many UGA games. But, I did my best. Here's the top five I witnessed with my own two eyes, live and in person:


5. John Isner leads the UGA Tennis Team to the 2006 National Championship. Isner is now know for his marathon match at Wimbledon, but it's the only time I've seen my beloved Dawgs win a national championship in a men's sport. I also got to see a Women's Swimming natty.



4. Kevin Butler and the Dawgs beat Clemson from 60 1/2 yards in 1984. The All-American kicker set his tee up on our side of the fifty and split the uprights to beat Clemson. It was the first time I remember hugging complete strangers at a football game.



3. Georgia beats Auburn in 4OT in the SEC's 1st overtime game in 1996. It had a thrilling comeback and breathless last second TD to tie the game. Then, the craziness started. Our defense finally held up to win 56-49.



2. Duke shocks the world and beats undefeated UNLV in the '91 Final Four. I was there in Indianapolis. I still can't believe Vegas lost that game. Laettner was cold blooded and Hurley played every second of that Final Four. Coach K finally got his National Title and a dynasty began. It was much to my dismay...I married a Tarheel, after all.



1. Team USA beats China for the Gold Medal in Women's Soccer in the '96 Olympics Games. It was very weird to be in the stadium I've been to a million times and see it look completely different. It was pretty moving, though, to see the USA win the gold and hear the national anthem played as the team received their medals. I'll never forget it.


Feel free to share yours in the comments!


3 comments:

Ashley said...

I have been able to see the Braves win two NLCS. In 1996 when they completely crushed the Cardnials. The best one though was 1999. The Braves won against The Mets in the
9th inning when Kenny Rogers balked with the bases loaded and Andruw Jones came into score the winning run. We had standing room only seats and were standing in the chophouse. The place went crazy. Like you said earlier it's the only time I can remember hugging total strangers.

Ann said...

Being 40+ years old, being invited to play in the co-ed league by and with my sons and holding my own. How many mothers ever get to play ball with their sons?

Wally said...

I was also at your #4. #1 for me would be "Belue to Scott", the 1980 UGA/FL game.